About the BXSP
The Builders Exchange of St. Paul... A membership organization dedicated to the building industry.
The Builders Exchange of St. Paul is a not-for-profit trade association with a core business to facilitate the “exchange” of construction plan/specification information between architectural/design community and the construction industry.
The Builders Exchange of St. Paul operates a construction plan room, offers a variety of enhanced membership services and supports the growth of the region’s construction industry. Our newest membership service, BXSP PlanLine, is an electronic plan room located here on our website. For more information on the PlanLine, please click here.
The Builders Exchange of St. Paul has served architects/designers and contractors since 1900. Founded by a group of visionary St. Paul business leaders representing the construction industry, the Builders Exchange of St. Paul has grown to become one of the most active and visible construction organizations in the area.
The Builders Exchange of St. Paul has over 500 members representing construction related businesses throughout the five-state area. Our members build commercial buildings, retail stores, private homes, and do all other types of construction. They sell building materials, fixtures, machinery, equipment, and services for every type of construction. And, they furnish surety bonds, mortgage loans, real estate services and insurance for every construction activity.
The Board of Directors is made up of 16 members elected by the membership at our annual meeting. Membership in the Builders Exchange of St. Paul requires a one-time initiation fee and yearly membership dues.
The mission of the Builders Exchange of St. Paul is to operate a construction plan room, provide enhanced membership services and support the growth of the region’s construction industry.
Why We Exist
We are an efficient conduit for the exchange of information between the design community and the construction industry.
What We Do
We provide a seamless exchange of construction project information and value-added membership services.
We promise to provide our members with exceptional service, a vibrant membership experience and substantial membership value.
History of the Builders Exchange of St. Paul
“A Helping Hand to the City’s Building Industry Since 1900”
It was December 4, 1900. Much of the horsepower at the job site was still of the four-legged variety. Carpenters were earning less than 30 cents an hour. And the conversion of a sleepy river town into a modern city was underway.
On that day a group of prominent local builders…concerned about the need of working more closely together to meet the problems of the times…sat down to formally approve the constitution and other legal papers establishing the Builders Exchange of St. Paul.
Their prime objectives were to provide a single “voice” within the building industry in dealing with the business of construction and to form a lasting partnership with the architectural and engineering community to efficiently “exchange” building plans and specifications.
These founding individuals included: William Porten (Great Northern Shops), George Grant (Pioneer Press Building, First National Bank Building, Union Depot), Walter Butler (The State Capitol, James J. Hill Library, Northern Pacific Railroad), F.J. Romer (Hamm Building, Emporium Department Store), P.M. Hennessey (Cathedral of St. Paul, Ryan Hotel), and Tim & Mike Foley (Northern States Power Company, St. Paul City Hall).
In all, 28 noted builders of the time signed the original constitution, and soon the Builders Exchange had a membership of 47…and growing.
Name a major building in St. Paul…or many of the other important buildings in the upper Midwest…and the likelihood is that it was built (or materials and services supplied) by a member of the Builders Exchange of St. Paul.
The Builders Exchange of St. Paul is located at 445 Farrington Street, just a few blocks west of the State Capitol. It is actually the Exchange’s fourth home. The first office was located in the old Ryan Hotel from 1900 until 1924. The organization moved in late 1924 to the 12-story Builders Exchange Building at Sixth and Jackson, which also housed many architects and contracting firms. The Exchange moved to the Hamm Building at Sixth and St. Peter in 1945. The building at Farrington Street was opened and dedicated to the members of the Builders Exchange in 1961.
Today, the Builders Exchange of St. Paul has over 650 members representing construction related businesses throughout the five-state area. Our members build commercial buildings, retail stores, private homes, and do all other types of construction. They sell building materials, fixtures, machinery, equipment, and services for every type of construction. And, they furnish surety bonds, mortgage loans, real estate services and insurance for every construction activity.
The Builders Exchange of St. Paul is a not-for-profit corporation functioning as a trade association representing the interests of its members and affiliates.
Over the years, five individuals have served as secretary/executive vice president: A.V. Williams (1900-1940), Ann Synan (1941-1945), Ray Thibodeau (1946-1970), Roger Miller (1971-2004) and Thomas Getzke (2005 to present).